Have you ever wanted to take a break from betting but you find yourself struggling?
Gambling is fun and can be really addictive.
It is an activity where you either make profit or make losses. Whichever one it is, self-exclusion programs have provided the lifeline for those who wish to take a break from betting world.
In this article, we took it upon ourselves to share different self-exclusion programs that are readily available if you want to take a break.
We have made sure that these methods and programs are going to be effective whenever you need them.
We diligently looked at national programs, casino-based options, and online gambling self-exclusion programs, to help you have access to resources and help, if you or anyone you know is struggling with gambling addiction.
Before we go on, we want you to know that you’re human and its okay to seek help.
Be intentional about what you want, and you’ll be surprise at how much control you’ll gain overtime.
Understanding Self-Exclusion Programs
As sad as it sounds, there are countless stories of people who got so addicted to gambling and lost themselves in the process.
Now, gambling is not the only activity a person can get addicted to, that is why, in everything an individual does, it is important to maintain control and discipline.
The human mind is fragile, it can get carried away sometimes, and if you’re not intentional about taking charge, things might not play out the right way.
Thankfully, there are self-exclusion programs to help bettors that need to take a break because of the need to gain control over their gambling activities.
Self-exclusion programs are design to give individuals a defined and controlled means of refraining from gambling activities for a predetermined period of time.
These programs exist to provide several benefits to people struggling with gambling addiction and want to make themselves better.
Some of the benefits of these programs are:
- They provide a necessary break from the cycle of gambling
- They help individuals to regain control over their behavior and make healthier choices.
- By temporarily taking a break from gambling, establishments or online betting platforms, individuals can focus on other important aspects of their lives, such as work, relationships, and personal growth.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the self-exclusion programs available to individuals:
National Self-Exclusion Programs
Did you know that National self-exclusion programs has had a 35% surge in registration within the past years?
This is nice to know because it means people are becoming more intentional about their mental health and are ready to do the right thing.
Countries all over the world now have different self-exclusion initiatives that are available to individuals and there has been a significant increase in them, because individuals now voluntarily enroll to them so they can gain control over their gambling activities.
Most of the national self-exclusion programs are available for individuals who want to take a break from betting and need help.
Thankfully, there has been positive reviews about the effectiveness of these programs. Some studies suggest that they have constantly stood to be beneficial in reducing gambling-related harm, however others claim that they have not been effective in preventing relapses.
Casino-Based Self-Exclusion Programs
One thing that has been in vogue is the responsibility put on businesses to always give back to their society since they’re making money from the masses.
That is why we also have casino based self-exclusion programs that have the sole objective of providing a safe space for bettors that need support and assistance in managing their gambling habits.
The programs are quite effective because it gives individuals an option to stay away from some specific casinos for a period of time.
When individuals enroll for these programs, they can be able to effectively check their gambling activities and reduce any risk of relapse.
Some of the benefits individuals can get from this program include
- Increased self-control
- Reduced financial strain
- Improved mental well-being.
- Resources and support services to help individuals address their gambling addiction
Online Gambling Self-Exclusion Programs
The world has evolved so much so that you can literally access anything with the Internet.
And even the world of gambling is expanding at a very high rate worldwide, individuals get to have an option to easily engage in virtual self-exclusion programs to control their gambling habits without needing to go through the stress of commuting.
Some of the key benefits of online gambling self-exclusion programs are:
- Accessibility: Users can easily access the support they need straight from the comfort of their homes. And one good thing about this is that the user also get to connect to the support system with having the need to be at a physical location.
- Flexibility: Individuals can also choose how long they want the self-exclusion program to be and do it at their own pace. One important thing is that you don’t have to worry about slacking off because they’ll always get a constant reminder.
- Anonymity: It’s not a surprise that most bettors want to be anonymous where there’s an addiction. Thankfully, the online programs gives room for privacy and provides a space where individuals can seek help without the fear of being judged or stigmatized.
- Supportive Resources: Online self-exclusion programs provides free and easy access to educational materials, counseling services, and support groups individuals can always connect with for a beneficial relationship.
- Effectiveness: Because people tend to always be on their phones, and connect with others easily, online self-exclusion programs has proven to be very effective in reducing gambling behavior and helping to increase control or abstinence when it is needed.
The virtual or online self-exclusion programs are just a few part of the various helps that are always available to individuals who are struggling with gambling addiction and wish to get help.
Self-Help Resources for Gambling Addiction
As we’ve said earlier, self-help resources have become readily available to individuals that need them because of the various online self-exclusion programs we have.
One good thing about these programs is that they come with support groups and free or paid counselling services that individuals can subscribe to.
We can assure you of the fact that the resources provided gives individuals a safe and supportive space to share what they’re going through, listen to other people’s stories, support each other and receive guidance from professionals that are experts in offering addiction counseling.
The online resource offer a way out to intentional individuals that want to manage their gambling addiction, get information about any gambling issue, and even have a self-assessment that stands as a gateway for promoting self-awareness and the need to gain control.
Lasting, individuals that are battling with gambling addiction can expect to get tips for maintaining a healthy and supporting relationship, tips on the best gambling practices like effective bankroll management and also seeking help when they need it, rather than keeping to themselves.
Personal Stories of Success
We believe we are speaking your mind when we say that personal stories of success and triumph always have a way of touching hearts.
If you feel your case it too tough or there’s no way out, wait until you hear someone’s story and you’ll know that anything you put your heart to can be achieved.
These success stories have a way of connecting with individuals that have gambling addictions and it’s a great way to learn valuable lessons from people’s lives.
They literally serve as an inspiration to people that want to overcome their gambling addiction, by letting them know that they are can gain control if they put their mind and soul to the self-exclusion program journey.
One compelling aspect of these programs is that individuals will get to connect with people who had real life experience, not made up stories, and also get tips on their intervention process, how they broke free from gambling addiction and what they’re doing differently.
Some of the effective strategies they use to gain control over their gambling activities can be setting strict financial limits, avoiding triggers, and seeking support from friends and family.
Though everyone’s story will be different, but individuals can get emotional support and encouragement to continue on the path of overcoming gambling addiction. Their experience is a demonstration of the fact that change is possible and self-exclusion is a powerful tool in overcoming gambling addiction.
Lessons learned and tips for others considering self-exclusion
If you are considering self-exclusion programs, we want you to know that you’re not alone.
To be realistic, it won’t be an easy journey, it’ll be difficult, but do you know what you’ll have at the end of the program?
Control! You’ll regain control from that gambling addiction.
Now, let’s look at tips individuals can adopt when considering to go for self-exclusion program:
- For individuals that want to take on this path, we advise therapy is what you should go for, because it’ll provide you with professional guidance and support throughout recovery.
- After getting a therapy, look for alternative hobbies and activities to take your mind off gambling and enjoy the experience
- Be involved in fulfilling and enjoyable pursuits that’ll fill the void left by your abstinence from gambling because it’ll provide a healthier outlet for emotions and energy
Inspiring stories of recovery and overcoming gambling addiction
We talked about the importance of personal story of success we cannot emphasized enough how important it is on a self-exclusion journey.
Do not spend time on negative stories that’ll pull you down, rather examine inspiring stories of individuals that triumphed over their gambling addiction.
Their stories alone can serve as a motivation and beacons of hope for individuals that are also undergoing the process.
These inspiring recovery stories will reflect the importance of resilience and determination in gaining success and living a healthy life.
Strategies for overcoming addiction that emerge from these stories include:
- Seeking support from friends and family
- Developing new hobbies and interests
- Practicing self-care
- Utilizing counseling or therapy services
When you have the right mindset and support system to seek the help you help, you’ll be able to persist when discouraged because you know that you have a support system and there are individuals who are with you, and with persistence, you can be able to break free from the grip of gambling addiction and fulfilling life.
Seeking Professional Help
Yes, it is good to have a support system like your family and friends when trying to break free from gambling, but it is also advisable to seek the help of a professional, because they’re more experienced in that area and will provide more guidance and support towards recovery.
An individual that wants to overcome his/her gambling addiction must take the time to look for the right therapist, because this can go a long way in determining the success of the treatment.
Some key factors to consider are:
- Expertise in addiction counseling and
- Their experience with gambling addiction specifically, and their compatibility with the individual seeking help.
To be effective in choosing the right therapist, the individual can make a table to compare all the therapists.
The table should include columns for therapist qualifications, treatment approaches, and success rates.
- If you want to be intentional about taking a break to manage gambling issues, a Self-exclusion program is an effective way to get it done.
- One good thing about these programs is that you get to hear other people’s personal stories and it’ll inspire you with valuable information insights on why the program is actually a great option
- Your mental health is very important, therefore you should seek therapy and professional guidance if you’re struggling with a gambling addiction so you can be fit and healthy for yourself and your loved ones.
- It’s normal to want to be alone but your surround by support system like your friends family and even professional support services that are ready to give you the support you need. They play a huge role in the recovery process for individuals who are going through the self-exclusion programs.
While an individual can choose to enroll in a self-exclusion program to over their gambling addiction, what makes it a success at the end of the day is the intentionality and commitment to the process.
Remember, ‘A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.’
Do not hesitate to take the step to recovery if you need one.