Over the years, the gambling industry has been associated with negative social consequences like addiction and financial hardship, and truly, you cannot put the full blame on people who regard it as such, because there have been numerous cases of bettors getting addicted to gambling and ruining their lives and personal finances.
But it is important you that you know that the industry has evolved so much so that casinos and bookmakers have no option but to adhere to standard practices or risk getting shut down.
Just as they are in the business of making money, it is their social responsible to promote responsible gambling policies and create awareness on the best gambling practices or they’ll risk losing their market, if bad news keeps getting associated with the industry.
In this article, we’ll take you the through the different processes casinos and bookmakers diligently follow to promote safety and responsible gambling through a range of measures.
By combining the common perception of the gambling industry and how it is evolving daily, we intend to provide an analytical and data-driven analysis of the different strategies used by casinos and bookmakers to enforce healthy and gambling practices.
Setting Betting Limits
One of the common misconception people have about bettors is that they have absolutely no control over their finances and can use their last cent to place a bet.
However, we have bettors that are strategic in their betting activities and very strict with their betting budget.
An individual that is able to do this can be sure of self-discipline and control.
At the beginning of any betting activity, set a betting limit because it is a crucial aspect of responsible gambling policies and if you’re able to stick to it, it’ll stand as a sure way of mitigating potential risks and addiction that can hurt personal finances.
Just as it is important that the bettor sets a betting limit, casinos and bookmakers also have the responsibility to make sure excessive gambling behavior is managed.
When they set a limit on the amount that can be wagered or the number of times an individual has to bet, it’ll prevent individuals from impulsive betting behavior.
In fact, a research stated that when measures are put in place to limit betting activities, it’ll reduce the likelihood of gambling addiction and minimize financial losses for players.
Also, setting these limits will make the betting environment more comfortable, safe and enjoyable for the individual and the casino or bookmaker.
Providing Self-Exclusion Options
For individuals that have lost their ways in the addictive world of gambling, self-exclusion programs have proven to be an effective means to help them gain control of their gambling habits.
It is the legal duty of online gambling platforms to have an easily accessible and reliant self-exclusion options to their customers.
These options are meant to serve individuals that choose to intentionally stay away from gambling for a period of time, especially if they notice that they’re not able to exercise discipline anymore.
The good thing about these self-exclusion programs is that they have consistently proven to reduce harmful gambling habits. However there are cases of individuals creating new accounts or using another gambling platform rather than following the self-exclusion programs.
But even with the limitations, it continuous to promote responsible gambling to individuals that are committed to the process.
Implementing Age Verification Measures
As one of the ways casinos and bookmakers can promote safety and responsible gambling, there’s a need to put adequate age verification measures in place so individuals below the legal age won’t get to place a bet.
To enforce this, legal and trustworthy platforms have enforced various ID verification methods to ensure the standard compliance measures are followed.
They include asking customers to upload a copy of their official ID documents like passports or drivers license when they are registering to be on the platform.
In fact some platforms go as far as using third-party age verification services that make use of advanced algorithm to make sure the documents submitted are not fake.
These measures have proven to be helpful in reducing underage gambling incidents.
Offering Responsible Gambling Resources and Support
Casinos and Bookmakers have also implemented strategies to promote healthy gambling by providing educative resources and support to their customers.
Especially using their self-exclusion program, it provides resources that can help assist individuals that are struggling with unhealthy gambling habits which will pose a potential risk in every aspect of their lives.
The good thing with these resources is that they promote healthy and informed approach to gambling and equip individuals with the necessary knowledge and skill they need to control their betting habits and avoid being addicted.
They offer recourses like brochures and helplines to educate individuals. Also, casinos, and bookmakers put strategies in place to help individuals understand that betting is a risk has profits and losses. Once the individual understands that the predictions and wagers can be well managed to reduce the risk of excessive gambling, they can come up with strategies to avoid harm.
Some of the information these resources provide are setting betting limits, recognizing warning signs of problem gambling, and seeking support services.
The more these resources are shared to encourage healthy gambling, it can go a long way in reducing the negative social consequences that is associated to gambling.
Training Staff on Responsible Gambling Practices
The staff in a company tend to interact more with the customers, therefore they must be trained with the necessary skills and knowledge to identify when a customer has a gambling problem and the best ways to address them within the establishment.
Customer support has to be empathetic, encouraging and not demeaning when attending to customers, and they must pay extra attention to those that clearly have signs of gambling problem.
This is where the need to train customer support come into play. The training should provide ways to identify signs of gambling problems, ways to enforce strict adherence to age restrictions and implementing self-exclusion programs.
When the staff members are knowledgeable in these areas, it’ll make them proactive and even empower them to maintain an effective communication with customers on responsible gambling practices.
Collaborating with Addiction Support Organizations
Having a support system that has people that are going through exactly what an individual is going through makes it very easy for them to connect on a deeper level because of the experiences that are similar and still unique.
Now, casinos and bookmakers should partner with an addiction support organization to address the needs of addicted individuals.
In fact, statistics shows that approximately 2-3% of the general population experience gambling-related problems.
When these online platforms partner with the support organizations, it’ll provide a community for these individuals to flourish and also contribute to preventing it.
Some of the key areas casinos and bookmakers can collaborate with addiction support organizations are:
- Come up with campaigns that create awareness on responsible and safer gambling practices.
- Host regular workshops and training sessions for staff members to continuously refresh their knowledge on addiction-related issues and how to help individuals that are in need of it
- Give access to counseling services and helplines for individuals
- Sponsor and participate in community events and initiatives that seek to promote responsible gambling and support those that are already affected by it.
Monitoring and Addressing Gambling-related Issues
Casinos and Bookmakers must put in place a system that’ll regularly assess and evaluate gambling practices, implementation of effective harm reduction strategies, and continuous research to stay up to date with trends and risks that can be mitigated.
If this system is in place, it’ll be easier to monitor and track customer’s data and identify areas that might indicate excessive gambling, which will provide support and resources to individuals at risk.
Public awareness is another important strategy to implement. It should focus on educating the public about the potential risks associated with gambling and provide guidance on how to approach it from a responsible point of view. These campaigns will help to reduce stigma and urge individuals to seek help when needed.
- While is it important that casinos and bookmakers promote responsible gambling, it’ll be futile if there’s no system in place to monitor its effectiveness. Installing an effective monitoring system will be significant on tracking customer behavior, identifying any case of excessive gambling and also providing early intervention for individuals that are beginning to lose control.
- The best way to create awareness is by using the information gotten from the monitoring system to push out campaigns that will promote healthy gambling practices and also provide guides on the potential risks. If this is effective, it’ll be a great way to reduce the stigma bettors, bookmakers and casinos face, and it’ll also encourage the behavior of seeking help whenever the individual needs it.
- Casinos and bookmakers must be proactive in their approach to monitoring and bring quick and fast intervention programs to create a safe gambling environment. Because gambling can be addictive, this process will prevent situations where individuals self-harm, instead it’ll safeguard their well-being.
- Every standard casino or bookmaker must have support resources that are easily accessible and available to individuals who need it. It is their responsibility to provide support like counseling services, helplines and a partnership with therapist to ensure access to treatment options for needy individuals.
Responsible gambling is achievable once an individual puts their minds to it.
While casinos and bookmakers are putting them in place, gamblers must also adhere to it to ensure balance and promotion of a secure gambling environment.
To simplify all we’ve shared, casinos and bookmakers should implement these measures for a healthy gambling environment:
- Setting betting limits
- Providing self-exclusion options
- Implementing age verification measures
- Offering responsible gambling resources and support
- Training staff on responsible gambling practices
- Collaborating with addiction support organizations
- Monitoring and addressing gambling-related issues
Once these are implemented, they’ll reduce the rate of unhealthy gambling habits and create positive awareness.